FACTORS THAT LEAD TO STUDENTS POOR PERFORMANLE IN PRINCIPLES OF ACCOUNTS IN POST PRIMARY INSTITUTION (A CASE STUDY IN ENUGU SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT)
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 90
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Get the Complete Project
This study aims at investigating the factors that head to students poor performance in principles of account in post primary institution in Enugu South Local Government. It is not intended to contradict all papers or disapprove any already on this particular topic or similar topic but will serve as a supple monetary work to those one.
In spite of the obvious need for this subject (Account) in such a growing economy like ours, students seem to be shying ways from it opinions have widely varied as to the causes.
In view of the above, the investigator saw the need to fund out if there had been relative poor performance in the subject, and the factors that actually head to poor performance in this subject area.
The major instrument of date collection was as administration on the sample students and teachers from ten school.
- Union Secondary school, Awkunanaw
- Girls Grammar school, Uwani
- Uwani Secondary scholl, Uwani
- Idraw River Girls secondary school, Idraw
- Army Day secondary school, Awkunanaw
- Mary Land Secondary school, Mary Land
- College of immaculate conception C.I.C, Uwani
- Queens secondary school, New Lay-out
- Urban Girls secondary school, Ogui
- Metropolitan secondary school Ogui New Lay-Out
The questionnaire was also administered on the accounts teachers.
The study revealed among other things that:
1) Students performance in Accounts have been relatively low
2) Students tend to find Account difficult and more so, when they lack good background
3) There seems not to be adequate number of teachers teaching Accounts in Enugu South Local government area.
4) Lack of appropriate instructional materials lack of constant practice by student perhaps, because not adequately maturated by thee teacher, text book and irregularity in the supply of teachers, are some of the other factors by the study.
5) Some teachers do not know how to inculcate, how to teach, how to impact knowledge they have been trained for into the students
To off-set these proven bottleneck and thereby facilitate student’s performance in the subject, the researcher recommends among others that:
- Efforts should be stepped up in going students god background in mathematics.
- Government should view with seriousness the issue of training teachers.
- Institution of higher learning should be encourage to mount business courses.
- Government should forestall the exodus of these accountry teacher by providing them with rewards commensurate with what their counterparts in private sectors receive.
- Nigerian and up-to-date textbooks should be provided, while teacher are advised to give the students adequate motivation for constant practice
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 Statement of the problem
1.2 Purpose of the study
1.3 Significance of the study
1.4 Statement of the hypothesis
1.5 Scope of the study
1.6 Limitation of the study
1.7 Definition of terms and Abbreviation
2.0 REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Meaning of principles of accounts
2.2 Objective of teaching principles of accounts in the post primary
2.3 Problem facing students in principles of accounts
2.4 Ways of improving students poor performance in principles of account
2.5 The roles of accounting in economic development
2.6 Basic accounting equation and double entry
3.0 RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.1 Sources of data
3.2 Population and sample used
3.3 Instrument used
3.4 Method of data collected
3.5 Technique of data analysis
4.0 DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.1 Data presentation and analysis
4.2 Test of hypothesis
5.0 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSION AND
The factors that leads to students poor performance in principle of accounts in post primary institutions in Enugu South local government area of Enugu State.
The principles of financial accounting is set up to propane students generally for the study of financial accounting in particular. It is hoped that the selected definitions that follow will create the awareness needed for students and as well awaken their interest in the study of accounting.
The American institute of certified public accountants defines accounting “as the act of recording, classifying and summarising in a significant manner and in terms of money transactions and events which are part (at least) of a financial character, and interpreting the results thereof”.
Also, Accounting can been defined as the process of identifying, measuring and communicating economic information to permit informed judgement and decision by users of the information
However, this definition by the American accounting association appears to dwell more on investment decisions made based on accounting information. Investment decision, whether by investors buying shares in a company or a company investing the funds at its disposal, involves identifying investment opportunities assessing or analysing the various alternatives based on sound economic principles. The association of national accountants of Nigeria defines accounting. “as the analysis, classification and recording of financial transactions and ascertainment of how such transaction affect the performance and financial position of a business. This involves knowing the day-to-day dealings with money and money.
Consequently, the practice of accounting stated since organised life evolved. The early man lived in caves from where he developed into living in communities. That is, each person went about doing those activities of life for which he was most gifted. This gave rise to individuals producing certain goods in quantifies in excess of what they needed which there were other goods which they needed cout they did not produced themselves. The result was exchange. The first system of exchange was by barter. Later money evolved and replaced banter. During the stage of barter, recordings exchange were recorded. A stroke on the wall or a pebble thrown into a pot could represent a receipt of 10 cowries. When a payment of a similar amount is made, then a pebble would be removed from the pot a stroke cleaned off from the wall. At any point in time, the number of pebbles, sticks or strokes remaining would signify the amount of money or commodity left, owned or owed by the “recorder”
In Nigeria, Accounting or book-keeping originate from the missionaries and private commercial schools in 1900. These missionaries came along with their cousines men and introduced book-keeping as apprenticeship programmes when the apprenticeship agencies failed to meet the needs of book-keepers and clerical workers, pre-service education programmes for training these workers were organized in academics and proprietary schools. The rapid expansion of business in the early years of the 19th century and need for larger number of bookkeeping and stenographers, clerical worker brought about an increased interest in business courses.
1.2 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of study is to investigate into what can be done to improve the performance of students in principles of accounts.
To investigate whether qualified teacher/people in account prefer working in the banks than going to the classrooms to teach.
If remuneration for teachers in accounts will in any way improve the performance of students. Also if the socio-economic of the students could be an obstacle in the study of accounts
Before, any effective performance improvement scheme can be mounted for the subject, it has to be preceded by an investigation into factors that head to students poor performance in principles of account which is the purpose of this study. The study will form a basis for further researchers. Such as “the effect of insufficient professionally qualified teacher on student performance in principles of accounts” It will be a light to curriculum planners and developers as to what reasons are necessary to foster student achievement in the subject.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is important to the students, so that it will correct the negative impression, which they have developed against accounting. The suggestion and recommendation of the study if properly implemented will enhance their study of the course, thereby creating employment opportunities at the end of their course.
On the part of the teachers, the study and its recommendations will induce the government to spearhead action towards better performance of students in principles of accounts. It will also disclose further research on poor performance of students on principles of accounts.
Finally, on the part of the government and the community the study will entitle the government and educational planners to facilitate action in the implementation and recommendations. It will also give principle of accounts the position it deserves in educational curriculum.
1.4 STATEMENT OF THE HYPOTHESIS
- Ho: There are no rocks of basic computational abilities for principles
Hi: There are lack of basic computational abilities for principles of
- Ho: Students performance in principle of accounts is light in relation
to other subjects.
Hi: Students performance in principles of accounts is light in relation
to other subjects.
- Ho: Teachers have not been adequate in given take-home assignments
despite their work hoad.
Hi: Teachers have been adequate in given take-home assignment
despite their work hoad.
- Ho: Enough periods are not given to principles of accounts.
Hi: Enough periods are given to principles accounts.
- Ho: Most of the secondary schools are not lacking sufficient
qualified/professional teachers in principles of accounts.
Hi: Most of the secondary schools are lacking sufficient qualified/professional teachers in principles of accounts.
1.5 THE SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The researcher is using the Enugu South Local Government Area as a case of study.
However, some school in Enugu South Local Government Area will be randomly selected for this exercise.
The schools are:
- Union Secondary School, Awkunanaw
- Girls Grammar School, Awkunanw
- Uwani Secondary School, Uwani
- Idaw River Secondary School, Idaw River
- Arm Day Secondary School. Awkunanaw
- Maryland Secondary School, Maryland
- College Immaculate Conception, (C.I.C) Uwani
- Queens Secondary School Ogui New-layout
- Urban Girls Secondary School, Ogui
- Metropolitans Girls Secondary School, Ogui New Layout
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS AND ABBREVIATIONS
L.G.A- Local Government Area.
F.S.L.C – First School Leaving Certificate
S.S.C.E (Internal) – Senior School Certificate Examination (WAEC)
S.S.C.E (Private) – Senior School Certificate Examination (G.C.E)
W.A.E.C- West African Examination Council