THE ROLE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT ON PUBLIC BUILDING PROJECT DELIVERY (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE)
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 75
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Download Full and Complete Project
PROJECT TOPICS AND MATERIALS ON THE ROLE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT ON PUBLIC BUILDING PROJECT DELIVERY (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE)
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Health and safety is an important issue in building works. A public building project is a building project where major building activities take place, requiring the issue of health and safety to be taken into serious considerations. Hazards on building construction sites need to be defined and eliminated through effective health and safety measures (Okoroh and Torrance, 2019).
Hazards as one of the characteristics of work on building projects raises the issue of health and safety on building project as one of the numerous problems facing the building industry in Imo State. This problem may have directly or indirectly or negatively affected both human and material resources and may have also brought about perpetual agony and hardship to various families that are victimized by fatal industrial hazards (Ngowi and Mothibi, 2016).
Health, as defined by oxford dictionary of current English is the state of being free from illness or injury; a person’s mental or physical condition. Webster’s dictionary of English language puts it that health is the state of fitness of the body or mind; it is the general condition of the body or mind with reference soundness and vigor.
Safety as defined by the Oxford dictionary of current English is the condition of being safe While Webster’s encyclopedia dictionary of English language defined “Safety” as the condition of being safe from risk or danger. It is the quality of averting or not causing injury, danger or loss.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Most building workers are exposed to some hazards through enormous power tools, falling of building materials, defective scaffolding and electrical defaults. The building projects in Imo State harbor a greater number of quacks and unformed labourers and contractors who do not care about the health, safety and welfare of their workers. Moreover, these contractors are not registered with the government and the contractors registering body. These groups of contractors only seek for their own individual welfare and they are abound mostly in rural areas of Imo State and go mostly for minor building works whose contracts are most cases initiated orally. These quack contractors are predominantly, illiterates but comprise experienced operators who are retired to retrench in the civil service construction firms and their apprentices.
According to Eze (2019) to affect the health and safety measures on building construction sites, the associated hazards must be recognized and monitored with the view to adopting adequate and satisfactory protection measures to safeguard the lives of workers.
Accidents that occur during construction and demolition activities result in injury, mostly to employees on site. Accidents can occur even before works begin during survey and investigatory phase of a project and after works have been completed, because of faulty design or construction causing death or injury to those engaged on maintenance work and to members of the public (Ofori, 2010).
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major aim of this project research is to critically examine and report on measures to be adopted to ensure that health and safety are regularly and adequately maintained on building projects in Imo State. The efforts of management staff in giving instruction to subordinates and setting down rules which should be monitored for strict compliance on the part of construction firms and operatives on building projects to be improved in Imo State.
- To assess the awareness of building personnel on safety provisions in the various contract forms and regulations used in Imo State.
- To ascertain the extent of implementation of the safety provision contained in the building industry, description of the general problems inherent, circumstances that allowed accident events to occur and the lessons that should be learnt to improve health and safety in the building
- To assess the level of implementation of the of health and safety regulations in building industry
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of immense importance to the building companies in not only Imo State but other states as well and in Nigeria as a whole. This is because the study will open their eyes to the various measures that can be used to ascertain the various causes of hazards, their effects and solutions to their when it occurs on the building projects.
This project will help to reduce the bad reputation and perception of Nigeria building industry, mostly in Imo State in particular as a result of shoddy performance during project execution and repair.
The health and safety of workers on building projects in Imo State has to be monitored form time to time during building to minimize or prevent injuries to persons during buildings processes.
The study will be significant to students who might wish to use it as a basis for further research. It will serve as a spring board form which further research might take-off. The data already gathered and documented in this project will serve as a source of information to students.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
For the purpose of this research work, the researcher has formulated the following research questions and the question will be answered in the cause of the study:
- What is the level of awareness of building personnel on safety provisions in the various contract forms and regulations used in Imo State?
- What is the extent of implementation of the safety provision contained in the building industry, description of the general problems inherent, circumstances that allowed accident events to occur and the lessons that should be learnt to improve health and safety in the building?
- What is the level of implementation of the of health and safety regulations in building industry?
1.6 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY SCOPE
The scope of this work is to critically study and reveal the various accidents that occur frequently on site and also suggest the possible remedy to check same on building projects in Imo State.
This project work covers the followings areas:
- The problems of health and safety on public building project, considered from many perspectives, in a view to maintain a reasonably high standard of health and safety on building projects.
- The duties of management in the issue of health and safety of workers on the building projects, with particular emphasis and references to public building projects. It discuses and consequently educating the uninformed in building, the need to imbibe safe working practices to reduce risk of accidents and generally enhance good health and welfare of personnel on the building projects.
- The examination of the effects of non-compliance to safety regulations and causes of the non-compliance
- It recommends where appropriate the possible solution to the problems
Due to the economy, the research study is limited to evaluate health and safety on public building project, using Imo State as a case study. The researcher is compelled to limit it to this, due to time and financial constraint.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
HEALTH: health is the state of being free form illness or injury; a person’s mental or physical condition.
SAFETY: Safety is the condition of being safe.
SCAFFOLD: Scaffolding is a kind of undulating ladder which is used as a temporary elevated frame work for the supporting of materials and workers during a building work, specifically for buildings and other kinds of larger structures.
Management is the body of knowledge about managing. It is also the process of planning, organizing, directly, and coordinating men, materials, machines and money so as to secure the optimum achievement of objectives.
In its simplest form, management is the process of getting things done whereby a suitable environment is created or designed for effort to be organized to accomplish desired goals.
BUILDING TECHNOLOGY PROJECT TOPICS AND MATERIALS ON THE ROLE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT ON PUBLIC BUILDING PROJECT DELIVERY (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE)