THE IMPACT OF MODERN COMMUNICATION FACILITIES OF THE PERFORMANCE OF SECRETARIES IN NIGERIA
Background of the Study
The act of Communication is the most important of all human activities. Is a fact that all human activities are interdependent on one another socially, economically, culturally and politically. No human being can live in isolation, that is to say human being must pass on and also receive information in every activities that must be done. Communication is one of the fundamental functions of the office and process which is essential to all forms of business. It is the means of conveying information from one person to another, which can be through Telephone, post office, Teleprinter, Mobile phone, Messenger services, Computer and many other means. Communication is done in order to pass or receive information, ideas and knowledge from one person to another.
During the past few decades there have been development and improvement in office communication system. This makes the work of todayâ€™s trained secretaries to be easier.
Azuka (1990), states that the word Secretary is taken from the Latin word â€œSecretariesâ€. This means that the Secretary is the ability to keep information or knowledge away from others. But in your own views a secretary is the keeper of secret.
Little (1976), defines Communication as â€œthe process by which information is passed between individuals and organization by means of previously agree symbols such as words, fiscal grimaces, gestures, postures, pictorial or usual display etc.
1.2Â Â Â Statement of the Problem
The Advent of modern communication facilities has spured up radical changes in the secretarial profession. These changes have been characterized by new methods of doing this, with emphasis on Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
According to Ali and Akinbi (1995), technology is an alteration in the life of an equipment, character, knowledge and method of doing things. The impact of these modern communication facilities this resulted into the acquisition of the needed competencies by secretaries, to effectively and efficiently operates these facilities in order to be relevant in the world of Labour. This is because, prior to this time, the communication facilities obtainable in the office were; Analog, Telephone, the manual typewriter, Teleprinter, Duplicating machine, reprographic machines etc.
Today Modern Communication facilities which include, computer, internet, mobile phones, fax machine, telegram etc. have replaced the persons existing ones. This had also created another impetus on the secretary, as there is an improvement in the way/she discharge his/her duties. However, the impact of modern communication gadget on the organization goals, have not been properly felt for instance the says in some organization are not still efficient even though there gadget. The problems of modern facilities seem to care a problem for instance some says it must undergo many loose of their job.
1.3Â Â Â Purpose of the Study
The overall purpose of this study is to examine the impact of modern communication equipment on the Secretary and the profession. However, the specific objectives of the study are:
- To identify the modern communication gadgets is the use in organization.
- To find out the impact of modern communication facilities on the organization goals.
- To assess the impact of modern communication gadgets on the efficiency of the Secretary.
- To outline the problems which modern communication facilities pose to the secretary profession.
1.4Â Â Â Research Questions
- What are the modern communication gadgets in use in organizations?
- What are the impacts of modern communication gadgets on organizational goals?
- What is the impact of modern communication gadgets on the efficiency of the Secretary?
- What are the problems of modern communication facilities to the Secretary profession?
1.5Â Â Â Significance of the Study
It is hoped that if the importance and the roles of Secretaries in the usage of modern communication equipment in communication is identified, the secretary will benefit from it, because by providing the modern facilities such as computer, mobile phone, Teleprinter, and Printing machine, photo-copy to improve its skills. Also secretarial students will benefit from this modern communication facilities.
1.6Â Â Â Scope/Delimitation of Study
The essence of the research work is to find the effects of modern communication facilities on the Secretary. The research work is however, delimited to the following areas: What is communication? Identify the modern communication gadgets in use in organizations, the impact of modern communication facilities on the secretary assess. Communication gadgets on the efficiency of the Secretary and outline the problems which modern communication facilities pose to the secretarial profession.
1.7Â Â Â Definition of Terms
These are definition of some words which might sound strange to the readers and which will also make the research work comprehensive and readable.
- Secretary: A person employed by an organization to deal with papers and correspondence keep records and assist his/her boss in the day to day running of the organization.
- Communication: The process of passing ideas, information and documents from one person, location etc. to another though usage of a specified channels.
- Modern: This is the present or recent time(s) or things.
- Impact: The effect or the importance.
- Equipment: Tools or machinery use for specific purposes.
- Secretarial: Duties of a secretary
- Profession: Individual areas of specialization or occupation.
- Computer: It is a machine or an electric device which accepts information from an input device, it also performs arithmetical logical operations in accordance with a pre-defined programme and fully transfer the processed data to an output device either for further processing or in final printed form like business document.
- Word Processing: Getting ideas into words, words into papers and then to the final result and communications.
- NCC: Network Control Center
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â VDU: Visual Display Unit
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â CPU: Central Processing Unit
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â SCPC: Single channel perceiver