ASSESSMENT OF THE ROLE OF COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES IN POVERTY ALLEVIATION.
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 108
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Get the Complete Project
This study investigates the Role of Cooperatives in Poverty Alleviation. The study was based in the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria Kaduna Multipurpose Cooperative Society. The research review the literatures of related study and were duly acknowledge. Data were collected through constructed questionnaire and interview methods comprising members of the study area. Using systematic sampling techniques. The perceptible equations and tabular illustrations were used to present data Obtained in the Study. Results obtained from the study suggested that members of the study area and the public benefit immensely from the activities of cooperative societies. Hence, cooperatives help to alleviate poverty amongst its members.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- Introduction – – – – – – – – 1
1.1 Background of the study – – – – – – 5
- Historical background of the study area – – – – 6
- Statement of the Problem – – – – – – 7
- Objective of the study — – – – – – – 8
- Significance of the study – – – – – – 9
- Research Question – – – – – – – 10
- Scope of the study — – – – – – – 11
- Operational Definition of term – – – – – 11
CHAPTER TWO: Literature Review
- Introduction – – – – – – – – 13
2.2 Cooperative Development Exposure – – – – 16
2.3 Poverty – — – – – – – – – 17
- Nigeria’s Poverty Situation – – – – – – 18
- Poverty Alleviation in Nigeria – – – – – 20
- Cooperative A tool for Promoting Desert
Work and reducing poverty – – – – – – 23
CHAPTER THREE: Research Methodology
- Introduction – – – – – – – – 28
- Research Design – – – – – – – 28
- Population Sample – – — – – – – 28
- Sample size – – – – – – – – 29
3.4.1 Justification for the sample size – – – – – 29
- Sample Technique – – – – – – – 29
- Justification for the sampling Technique – – – – 30
- Research Instruments – – – – – – – 30
- Method of Data presentation and statistical analysis – – 30
- Limitations of the study – – – – – – – 31
CHAPTER FOUR: Data Presentation And Analysis
- Introduction – – – – – – – – 32
- Presentation Analysis Based on respondents bio data – 32
- Data Analysis Based on questionnaire – – – – 35
CHAPTER FIVE: Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
5.1 Summary – – – – – – – – – 44
- Conclusion – – – – – – – – 45
- Recommendation – – – – – – – 46
Reference – – – – – – – – – 48
Appendix I – – – – – – – – – 49
Appendix II – – – – – – – – – 50
From the beginning of mankind, man has been engaged in a continuous battle to liberate himself from the shackle condition of life called poverty. Consider the following situation.Poverty Alleviation
- A destitute is begging for alms at Public Park to buy food from a nearby food stand.
- A young university trained professional lost her job a few months ago and her bills are mounting because she is still employed.
- An investor is unable to pay his children’s school fees this semester because his expected earning from investments did not materialize.
- A millionaire needs to take tranquilizer every night because he cannot sleeps without them.
Which of these four people would you consider poor? A is both income poor and socially deprived. B may not be socially deprived. Being well educated but she is income poor, being educated but she is income poor, being out of employment. C is cash poor, but only for a short time because he can convert has investment into cash if necessary. D is not poor by any material standards but he is spirit poor because money cannot buy him a sound sleep.
In general, a discussion of poverty as a socio – economic issues is limited mainly to the situations covered in A and B above. But cooperative’s pride themselves as “enterprises” with a soul” will target all four cases.
The definition and measurement of poverty can be quite elusive. It varies from place to place and from time to time. Poverty is a condition of life so degraded by disease, illiteracy malnutrition as it denies the basic human necessities. It is therefore difficult to give a precise definition of poverty. But the poor society in terms of their economic, cultural Social and psychological condition. In an attempt to attack this chronic disease (poverty) the basic problems of development should be redefined as a selective attack on the worst form of poverty.Poverty Alleviation
Developmental goals must be defined in terms of the progressive reduction and eventually elimination of malnutrition, diseases, illiteracy, unemployment and inequality. Once again the relationship between poverty and development is clear. Where there is abundant poverty there is little or no development. After all, the process of development itself is geared towards the elimination of poverty and inequality in order to give room for a better life for mankind.Poverty Alleviation
Cooperatives societies which is primarily to alleviate poverty among people because the purpose of incorporating the society is to meet the common felt needs of the members and the general public on social and economic needs as well as cultural aspirations of the individual thereby complementing the efforts of the government towards the alleviation of poverty in the society. Cooperatives is aimed at receiving the policies towards alleviating of poverty in the society in terms of their economic, cultural, social and psychological condition of both members and the general public. Over the years cooperatives has made efforts in reducing the poor standards of living of the poor masses in the society. Hence the importance of Cooperatives towards the alleviation of poverty can not be over emphasized; it can be summarized in the following succeeding lines:
- Cooperatives encourage the poor in the society to save little money that may be encountered, so that they can conveniently solve the problems.
- Cooperatives create/open up viable avenue for the less privilege to benefit from government and any other credit outside their places of work in order to enable them solve immediate problems and other top benefit from them.
- Stimulation of economic growth through the engagement of semi skilled and unskilled labour in productive activities.
- Minimizing rural – Urban drift through the improvement of rural communities.
- Empowering the environment to arrest environmental deregulation.Poverty Alleviation
Programme activities and strategies to achieve the objectives of cooperatives towards alleviation of poverty include.
- Cooperatives are trying to reduce the alarming rate of poverty through the provision of goods and services at a cheaper cost for the common average man to afford.
- Cooperatives help to prevent exploitation of the less privilege. By organizing workshop/seminars to educate areas that are yet to develop in terms of education, inadequate health centers, inadequate companies to work for their daily wages in order to better their lives and reduce the rate of poverty in the society.
- Empowering women and men to participate in decision that affect lives and that enables them to build their strengths and assets.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Nigeria like other developing countries have done a lot in terms of improving the standards of its citizens through the provision of employment, shelter, food supplies, basic infrastructural facilities, good education system and a conducive political and socio – economic environment. Of all these deep-rooted social and economic ills, the most frightening is poverty, it is alarming because it’s capacity of learning all social fabric and social values. Consequently, all attempt made to reduce poverty cannot be improved.Poverty Alleviation
Nigeria, since independence has been battling on how to reduce poverty on its citizenry. In this regard, programmes, agencies. And a mission were drawn, instituted and formed to address this ugly issue or hydro – headed monster (poverty). We are all aware of the philosophies behind regional areas like the Northern Nigeria Development Cooperation (NNDC) Western Nigeria Development Cooperation (WNDC) and Eastern Nigeria Development Cooperation (ENDC).Poverty Alleviation
All these cooperation were constructed for the purpose of giving soft loans for the developmental projects and other employment opportunities to the respective regions from the federal government and from the limited sources of their respective regional areas.
The introduction of cooperatives societies in Nigeria came about through the feasibility study of Mr. Strickland in his reported submitted in 1933 when the Nigeria government realized the significance of cooperative. This resulted to the formation of cooperative. Inspite of all these cooperation, agencies and societies have proved to be very potent in reducing the level of poverty in our society.
- HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) Kaduna Multipurpose cooperative society was formed primarily to promote the general economic interest among its aimed at providing cash, kind and loan for necessary productive purpose with society as a means of income and with a reasonable convenient term of repayment. The multipurpose cooperatives society is formed to promote cooperatives spirit among its member and to work for the general improvement of the members living standard.
The cooperative society (FRCN) also engages in any meaningful business ventures or trading. Activities outsides the cooperative society so as to enhance the earnings of the society.Poverty Alleviation
Finally federal Radio Corporation Radio Corporation multipurpose cooperative society was formed to encourage the development of cooperatives movement in Nigeria
1.3 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM.
Poverty as a figure disturbing the people or society are due to the fact that all governmental schemes to alleviate poverty has not been shown in the study area.Poverty Alleviation
The unemployment situation in the society is at the increasing rate among the people due to the limitation of cooperatives awareness in the society. The people fail to know or understand