THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TEACHING RESOURCES FOR LEARNING AND STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EGOR LGA OF EDO STATE
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 75
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Get the Complete Project
This study intends to find out the relationship between teaching resources for learning and students academic performance in English Language in Nigerian secondary schools, a case study of Egor Local Government Area of Edo State. The research instruments were direct observations, mini interviews, questionnaires and documentary sources. The result of the study showed that there are significant relationship between teaching resources and student’s academic performance. It was recommended that educational planners and all other stakeholders (parents, principals, governments and philanthropic organization) in education should ensure that the public schools are well equipped, properly maintained, adequately staffed and efficiently utilized in order to enhance students academic performance.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.1 Background to the study
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Research Questions
1.4 Formulation of Hypothesis
1.5 Purpose of the Study
1.6 Significance of the Study
1.7 Scope of Study
1.8 Limitations of the Study
1.9 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
2.2 English Language Education in Nigeria
2.3 Education and teaching Aids
2.4 Mode of Teaching/Teaching Methodology of English Language
2.5 Evaluation of Student’s Performance
3.0 Research Methodology
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Population of the study
3.3 Sample and Sampling Techniques
Validity of instrument
Reliability of instrument
3.5 Method of Data Collection
3.6 Method of Data Analysis
Presentation of Data, Data Analysis and Discussion of Results
4.1 Results and Data Presentations
4.2 Observation and Inference on Result
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
5.1 Summary of Findings
- BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
It is true that education is generally accepted as a great and very important tool for civilization of a nation, which is regarded as the excellent catalyst for national development. For critical and genuine actualization of the objectives of education in Nigeria as stated on the national policy on education NPE (2004), serious efforts must be made to ensure that proper teaching and learning takes place. The mode of instruction, personnel and materials for teaching have been noted by various educationists to have great effects on learning.
Generally, language is the main medium of instruction in Nigerian schools. Infact, the relevance of the language in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. Basically, people who speak English language fall into three categories, those who acquired it as a second language due to the bi-lingual nature of their society and those who have to learn English for administrative purpose, for communication as well as education.
Despite the dependence and usage of English language in Nigeria a national language of unity, it has been observed that secondary school students especially the Junior Secondary School Level (JSS) speak and write poor/sub-standard English language. The most important thing in a language is to be skillful in it, which needs competence and performance as it is being used to refer to an individual ability of a particular language. How he/she can make use of the language skillfully without making mistake while speaking. Skillfulness refers to the acquisition of four basic skills of listening speaking, reading and writing.
One of the major problems facing education today is the poor development of English language in our students as well as the problem of teaching resources in our educational institution. In a nutshell, this study takes a look at the relationshiop between teaching resources for learning and students academic performance in English language in secondary schools. A case study in Egor Local Government Area of Edo State.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
A lot of problems affects the educational system. This includes the use of teaching resources and students academic performance. This study on the relationship between teaching resources for learning and students academic performance in English language in secondary schools. A case study of Egor Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria is set out to understand the relationship and influence of instructional resources on students performance in the language study and development too.
In addition, is set to use it findings to make useful and appropriate recommendations to the school administrators, teachers and the government.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In order to carry out this investigation some questions were raised.
- Does the availability and efficient utilization of teaching resources contribute to the student’s academic performance?
- What is the contribution of English language teachers to the student’s academic performance?
- In what ways do infrastructural facilities contribute to the student’s academic performance?
- How can we achieve effective utilization of the teaching resources to promote utilization of the teaching resources to promote very good or excellent academic performance?
- FORMULATION OF HYPOTHESIS
For the investigation to be carried out effectively, the following formulated hypothesis will be tested to ascertain the validity.
- The quality and availability of English language teachers affects student’s performance.
- Instructional resources affect student’s performance in the language study and development.
- Availability and utilization of instructional resources affects the student’s performance.
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The following are the purpose of study;
- To identify and discuss the various performance.
- To note the relationship between teaching resources for learning and students academic performance in English language in the secondary schools.
- To suggest some useful and reliable solutions on how to enhance high academic performance viz-aviz, effective provision and utilization of resources.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study is as follows;
- This study investigates and note the type of relationship between teaching resources and students academic performance in English language in secondary schools in Nigeria with a case study of an urban settlement with some form of rural setting from one end of the local government to the others in Edo State of Nigeria.
- It would expose the causes of mass failure in English language examinations and offer useful suggestions and solution models to solving them.
- It contributes to educational research and knowledge which will aid educationist in making recommendation during policy making and decisions.
- SCOPE OF STUDY
This work shall be confined to the study of relationship between resources for learning and students academic performance in English language in secondary schools a case study of Egor Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria.
This work shall include clear presentation of issues relating to the students performance in relation to the response from administered standardized questions, documented and edited materials as well as the mini interviews conducted and from some personal observations also.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
Continuous Assessment (C.A): This is a periodic evaluation and recording on cumulative bases. Evaluation of students academic performance.
Data: They are group of information
English Language: It is an inherited language from the British which is used as Nigeria’s lingual franca.
Education (1): Product of learning
Education (2): Process of learning
J.S.S.E: Junior Secondary School Examination
NABTEB: National Business and Technical Examination Board.
NECON: National Examination Council of Nigeria
NPE: National Policy on Education
SSSE: Senior Secondary School Examination
Mass Failure: This is a situation whereby students perform very poorly, below expectation and below average.